Würden Sie gerne auf diese Nachricht reagieren? Erstellen Sie einen Account in wenigen Klicks oder loggen Sie sich ein, um fortzufahren.

NUTBARS DU CANUCKS KEEPER LEAGUE FORUM

StartseiteNeueste BilderSuchenAnmeldenLogin

What to do about our playoffs.......

Nach unten 
+3
Soo Storm
Northern Elites
Desolation Row
7 verfasser
AutorNachricht
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

Number of posts : 3460
Registration date : 21.08.08

What to do about our playoffs....... Empty
BeitragThema: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 0:00

Well, because of the shortened season, it seems we will need to deal with a reduced playoff schedule. I am not sure who spotted this, but it was a good one. I never thought to look into it. Anyhow, ESPN has set it up so that we will have 10 regular season match ups followed by 4 weeks of playoffs. The top 4 teams would enter the Winners Bracket and the bottom 6 are entering the Consolation Bracket, or what I like to call the Losers Bracket.

Here is a little refresher on what we had hoped for:

Order of Draft and Keeper Totals: The first place team keeps 10 and drafts 10th, second place team keeps 11 and drafts 9th, teams 3-8 hold 12 and will draft according to their standings come the end of playoffs with the better performing teams securing the more valuable picks, and the last two teams will hold 13 and will draft according to the Total Points Against determiner where the team with the lowest TPA is rewarded with the top pick of the draft.

I have played with the LM tools and I can get 8 teams to enter the playoffs, but it automatically gives each team a BYE in week 11, before entering the playoffs. Not so nice I think. So, with that in mind here is what I suggest:

The 1st place team keeps 10 and drafts 10th, 2nd place team keeps 11 and drafts 9th, 3rd place team keeps 12 and drafts 8th, 4th place team keeps 12 and drafts 7th. Teams 5-10 are lumped into the Losers Bracket where they will draft according to their standings come the end of playoffs with the better performing teams securing the moer valuable picks. Note: teams 5-8 will hold 13 and teams 9-10 will hold 14.

So that is my red wine induced suggestion. I think that it should make for some entertaining playoffs. One weak spot is with the two teams that lose R1 of the playoffs in the winners bracket. In R2 they will technically be playing for ''nothing''. Perhaps a little side bet will be a good ideer. For teams 5-10, they will be scrapping it out for all four weeks of the playoffs trying to grab hold of the most valuable picks in the upcoming draft. I have tried to reward teams 9 and 10 a bit by giving them an extra keeper. In truth, we have very little difference at the moment, between most of our teams so rewarding the 9th and 10th placed teams in this shortened season is perhaps not all the sensible.

There you have it. I open the floor to you beautiful people. I would say we should hammer this out sooner rather than later as the clock is ticking ..........

Zuletzt von Desolation Row am 25.03.13 21:07 bearbeitet; insgesamt 1-mal bearbeitet
Nach oben Nach unten
http://gkcandjlt.blogspot.com/
Northern Elites

Northern Elites

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 17.09.10

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 1:09

Are you suggesting 4 team playoff then Greg?

Im fine with whatever is easier to set up . I think 8 teams would be better, but if its a huge pain to set it up then I'm totally fine with the 4 team playoff.
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 9:36

Yep, unfortunately I am suggesting a 4 team playoff. Because of the reduced sesason, if we want 8 players going to our playoffs we would all have a BYE in week 11 (not sure why ESPN does this) and then our playoffs would start the following week and be 3 one week rounds.

Course, if that is what everyone wants, I am flexible.

Just a matter of talking it out and coming to some sort of decision. None will be perfect I suspect.
Nach oben Nach unten
Northern Elites

Northern Elites

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 9:48

Ok ill cast my vote for 4.
Sounds like the easiest way to do it. That way ESPN takes care of all the work too
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 10:48

How do you like the distribution of keepers and the battle for the top picks that will happen with teams 5-10?

Looks like good fun no?

Teams 9 and 10 will not be a lock for the top two picks, but they do get 14 keepers. In this shortened season, I am not sure that the teams that end up at 9 and 10 are really all that different than the teams at 5, 6, 7 and 8. We normally have 20 weeks of regular season I believe and that is naturally a fairer gauge of which teams are ''weak'' and in need of a booster.
Nach oben Nach unten
Northern Elites

Northern Elites

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 10:54

Ya the battle between 5-10 sounds good. Its nice to see regardless of where you finish you at least have something to play for.
For such a short notice i think this is a fair and easy soution.
Nach oben Nach unten
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

Number of posts : 2001
Registration date : 27.08.08

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 20:14

if we can't make it a 8 team playoff without a bye week before the playoffs then im good with what greg outlines.

Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 22:41

OK, that sounds like some good feedback.

Naturally, this would only be a 'fix' for this year and then we would be back to business next season.

Unless there is another lockout .........
Nach oben Nach unten
Chris Catrini

Chris Catrini

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 26.04.11

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty06.03.13 23:33

Greg, it all looks great through the bottom of my glass also, one question/suggestion regarding the bottom 2 teams;

Is it possible for 9-10 to draft no lower than 3rd and 4th?

I agree with your assessment that there is not a huge difference between 5-10 but there is usually a pretty good reason someone finished in bottom 2.

Just a suggestion.
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty07.03.13 14:21

That sure sounds like a very reasonable, and might I add, clever addition. That would still leave a pretty interesting fight in the playoffs for everyone involved, but also give those bottom two teams a little peace of mind.
Nach oben Nach unten
Juggernauts

Juggernauts

Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 28.04.10

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty07.03.13 16:34

As much as it would suck to have a week off I would just vote for the 8 playoff teams with one week bye... then we don't have to change anything.
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty07.03.13 17:08

Well, that route would certainly have that advantage........

Good point my good man.
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 0:22

OK Fellow GMs.

I am just off the phone with ESPN. Yes, I called the ESPN Fantasy Help Line.

Anyhow, the BYE problem is solved. I have added an extra week onto the regular season giving us a total of 11 weeks. We could then have 8 teams make the winners bracket of the playoffs and the bottom two teams would duke it out in the consolation bracket. We could then use our current format without any modifications.

I have made the changes not implying that said changes were final, but rather so that everyone could go in and check out how the playoff bracket would look like if we went this way. Because of the shortened season, there are positives and negatives associated with whichever route we take, but now at least we have that BYE problem solved and we can finally make a decision.

I have to be honest, I am leaning towards this method. I like that we do not have to create a new keeper/drafting format on the fly and I think it should provide us with some major excitement come playoffs.

Let's talk it out. I open the floor to all you fantasy studs.
Nach oben Nach unten
Juggernauts

Juggernauts

Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 28.04.10

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 6:16

That seems to make the most sense to me. The only difference is one week rather than two for playoffs. Everything else can stay the same as in the manifesto.
Nach oben Nach unten
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

Number of posts : 2001
Registration date : 27.08.08

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 8:56

great news! lets do it. thanks greg for taking the time to dial in!
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 15:48

That sounds good to me.
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 15:53

Getting some positive feedback here.

Curious for more ....
Nach oben Nach unten
Ice Dawgs

Ice Dawgs

Number of posts : 2690
Registration date : 26.08.08

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 15:58

I'm down with it my main man!
Nach oben Nach unten
Basement Dwellers

Basement Dwellers

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 08.12.11

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 16:28

Crotchety Gord says two thumbs up!
Nach oben Nach unten
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty08.03.13 16:55

That's the spirit fellas.
Nach oben Nach unten
Northern Elites

Northern Elites

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty09.03.13 0:36

Sorry guys im on a mini vacation here.
But im fine with that as well. I preferred the 8 team playoff so works for me!!
Nach oben Nach unten
Chris Catrini

Chris Catrini

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 26.04.11

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty09.03.13 17:49

Sounds good to me too.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gesponserte Inhalte

BeitragThema: Re: What to do about our playoffs.......   What to do about our playoffs....... Empty

Nach oben Nach unten

What to do about our playoffs.......
Seite 1 von 1

Befugnisse in diesem ForumSie können in diesem Forum nicht antworten
 :: League News :: League Lounge-
Gehe zu: