Würden Sie gerne auf diese Nachricht reagieren? Erstellen Sie einen Account in wenigen Klicks oder loggen Sie sich ein, um fortzufahren.

NUTBARS DU CANUCKS KEEPER LEAGUE FORUM

StartseiteNeueste BilderSuchenAnmeldenLogin

draft next september

Nach unten 
5 verfasser
Gehe zu Seite : 1, 2  Weiter
AutorNachricht
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

Number of posts : 2001
Registration date : 27.08.08

draft next september Empty
BeitragThema: draft next september   draft next september Empty23.03.09 15:48

are we going to do a slow format draft?
Nach oben Nach unten
Arthur Tigers SCOOPnRED

Arthur Tigers SCOOPnRED

Number of posts : 1375

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 11:34

SCOOP n RED would support the slow draft idea. Snagged a nice little laptop at Future Shop a month or so ago. $600, 4 RAM, 320 GB, 15" screen... should be able to sneak on line most anywhere. The slow draft stimulates interest for many days and encourages trading. Enthusiasm is always very high during the drafting time. I've seen this in my other pool too. We all know the flip on this is that someone may not have access/be busy. This is also true of a one day draft.

SCOOP
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 12:58

In a keeper league format I always like the slow draft. Combine that with the community of guys here who are involved and like to talk hockey/the pool and it's a great idea.
Nach oben Nach unten
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 13:39

i like the slow draft aswell. it will create a nice buzz around this league for a week or so to kick of SEASON NUMBER 2!
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 13:53

I want a slow draft as well. Nothing beats it. And we are a good group of guys who are on the up and up. We'd have to start drafting early though to get through all the rounds.
Nach oben Nach unten
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 14:58

start the draft this weekend? lol
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 22:29

I too would like the slow draft for the same reasons mentioned above.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 23:07

brandon schrieb:
start the draft this weekend? lol

I'd totally be down for that. I'm itching to drop some of my players, lol!!
Nach oben Nach unten
Fitzsy Stars

Fitzsy Stars

Number of posts : 3613
Registration date : 21.08.08

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty24.03.09 23:33

I was afraid there would be a lot of interest in the slow draft. LOL.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I will be gone for most of the summer this year (three months from June through August), and although I will have access to the Internet every few days, it wouldn't be enough to keep up with a slow draft.

Being gone for the summer, I will also have a busy September playing catch-up with work, which means I'd prefer a one-day draft myself.

However, this is a democratic group, and if everyone else can handle a slow draft (and wants a slow draft), perhaps we can come up with some sort of compromise. Of course, we'll need to wait and hear from all the others too.

Once the season ends we'll go through the process of voting on a few rule suggestions and figure out what everyone can do for the September draft next year.

How does that sound?
Nach oben Nach unten
http://www.summitstudios.biz
Desolation Row
Admin
Desolation Row

Number of posts : 3460

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 9:38

I can work with either one fellers. What I would suggest is we begin our draft (either slow or fast) each selecting one player from Matts roster. I am not sure who invited him into our pool in the first place but look at his freakin' team? He is going to be hammering us for at least a decade. So many young, crazy, studs on his roster that it is sickening.

Really, it is easily solved.............''Out with him!!''.

I will pick first. Ovechkin. Done. Who is next?

cheers
Nach oben Nach unten
http://gkcandjlt.blogspot.com/
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 13:04

green for me lol.

and yes whatever you guys decide i am down.
Nach oben Nach unten
Fitzsy Stars

Fitzsy Stars

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 14:18

Am I sensing a bit of animosity? lol!
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 15:08

*Checks the scoreboard for the week*

I'll take Steven Stamkos....
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 18:10

fitzsystars schrieb:
I was afraid there would be a lot of interest in the slow draft. LOL.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I will be gone for most of the summer this year (three months from June through August), and although I will have access to the Internet every few days, it wouldn't be enough to keep up with a slow draft.

Being gone for the summer, I will also have a busy September playing catch-up with work, which means I'd prefer a one-day draft myself.

However, this is a democratic group, and if everyone else can handle a slow draft (and wants a slow draft), perhaps we can come up with some sort of compromise. Of course, we'll need to wait and hear from all the others too.

Once the season ends we'll go through the process of voting on a few rule suggestions and figure out what everyone can do for the September draft next year.

How does that sound?

Its a slow draft, checking it once every few days should be fine. One day drafts are for one year leagues. Keeper leagues should have slow drafts. If its a huge problem, then I'm sure the group can come to an agreement of sorts
Nach oben Nach unten
Fitzsy Stars

Fitzsy Stars

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 18:24

I just know the slow draft for the prospects was quite time consuming for me, as I spent a lot of time trying to keep everyone on track. I wouldn't be able to do that this time, so it could get bogged down and be frustrating for everyone -- those who are checking every couple of hours, and those who are checking every couple of days.

The other potential snag with starting a slow draft too early is that the veteran stud you picked on August 20th with your 1st or 2nd round pick suddenly goes down with a multi-month injury the first day of training camp. It happens, and it would suck for whoever invested such a high pick on a player so early in the draft.

This could be avoided to a certain extent by holding the draft a bit later, say in the third week of September as we did last year. Sure, shit can happen at any time. But at least some of the news has started trickling in by that time, and most players have survived the first few days of training camp. In short: more is known. Fewer surprises.

Anyway, that is my two cents. Let me know what you guys think.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 20:43

I'am open to either but as i have said earlier i would prefer slow draft but if it is not possible then it's not possible. I just find it adds more interest and gives people a chance to think their picks through i mean some picks are obvious but i remember during our live draft, i got caught twice when my top three choices were taken in a row right before my pick and i was scrambling a little bit. Also and i think Scoop may have mentioned this but it creates time for trades to happen, your two picks away but have to have that player and your not sure he is gonna make it you you have the time to shoot the other gm a trade proposal during the live draft i barely had time to drink a beer or two and i willlll nooooot staaaaannnnndddd for that this year Mad lol! . But as i said if it will be to much of a hassle then i guess i would just have to learn to drink faster lol! .
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty25.03.09 22:04

Matt, if you need someone to be ontop of things, I have no problem in doing so. As for wasting a high pick on a player. Injuries can happen at any time, and if you are picking a guy with a high draft pick, then chances are he is in your plans for the future. PLUS, normally its the old guys who go down with injuries or have surgery right before the season. The lesson? Don't pick the old folks, lol.

Anyways, if there isn't a real movement for a slow draft, we won't have one. But as mentioned by Rich, it gives people time to think. We have the whole summer to make picks, we don't have to be doing a round a day. A round a week should be fine.
Nach oben Nach unten
Arthur Tigers SCOOPnRED

Arthur Tigers SCOOPnRED

Number of posts : 1375

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty02.04.09 11:16

Slow draft

PROS
- long term interest by all members
- people check in daily
- trades happen as people anticipate

CONS
- it takes a long time
- it can interfere with other elements in life (can't pick when it's your turn)
- player values evolve during the time of the draft

Fast draft
- managers make more mistakes
- disaster if you can't make the draft (complete disaster)

I would suggest that we attempt a slow draft. Perhaps commencing on June 1. That way we have some time to get ready. Ask teams to draft on certain days. If a schedule is drawn, then we'll all have an idea when we need to report in. I would also suggest that we set up a 24 hour, 48 hour or 72 hour rule. (I like 72 hours I think). If a manager hasn't made his pick within 72 hours of his assigned time, we move on to the next pick. The missed pick would be made as soon as the Manager returned and logged his selection.

SCOOP
Nach oben Nach unten
Soo Storm

Soo Storm

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty02.04.09 13:06

the one thing that sucks is i would go nuts waiting 72 hours for my pick. knowing my compulsive disorder i would be on here every 10 minutes checking lol.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty02.04.09 13:54

Scoop, I like your plan. I vote on that. Like that Matt doesn't have to worry about checking in every two seconds. And if anything. I can shoot out an email to the person who is drafting to make sure it moves along
Nach oben Nach unten
Ice Dawgs

Ice Dawgs

Number of posts : 2690
Registration date : 26.08.08

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty03.04.09 10:53

In all my years of fantasy hockey, I had always looked forward to draft day. I found that day to be the most exciting day of the whole season. I know I spend the whole summer(well almost the whole summer) preparing for draft day. My aim is to prove to myself that I can draft better than the rest of the league, whether I do so or not, it is a challenge that I look forward to.

Having a slow draft for a few months is like doing your research on the fly. Events happen along the way that may make a prior selection a huge mistake(I believe Matt had mentioned this). Having the draft just prior to the season eliminates these types of problems.

Why should one GM be penalized just because others aren't as diligent in their research or analysis? Why should a GM have 1, 2 or even 3 days to make a selection? I see this as a big disadvantage to someone who comes prepared to the draft.

Having a sloooooow draft takes all the fun out of drafting, imho. Anticipation is exhilirating but not when it's measured in days instead of minutes.

I can see the point of making trades to get a player you really want and are afraid someone else might select him before you do, so you either have to pick him a round earlier or work out a trade that day or even beforehand. For this reason I am opposed to a time-limit draft like we did in our inaugural draft, so maybe we can make it a whole day draft instead of blocking out only 3 hours. We can make a thread on here to hold the draft. In this way, there isn't a 3 minute time frame to make your pick thus allowing time for GM's to talk trade.

Those are my thoughts FWIW.

Razor
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty03.04.09 12:04

I am down for either... but if we are going to draft in a one-day format it would be best to know the date far in advance to make sure everyone is on board
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty03.04.09 16:53

razor schrieb:

For this reason I am opposed to a time-limit draft like we did in our inaugural draft, so maybe we can make it a whole day draft instead of blocking out only 3 hours. We can make a thread on here to hold the draft. In this way, there isn't a 3 minute time frame to make your pick thus allowing time for GM's to talk trade.

I've never had a draft that has no time limitations. One person can hold the whole league hostage if his internet was to go down, or if he was to leave for a few hours. I really doubt I would be able to commit a full 12-18 hours doing a draft. I love doing 1 day drafts, but not for a keeper league.

I personally think you need to be more prepared for a slow draft and I find it streches the fun out for a longer period. Sure you are able to do research, but no amounnt of prep for a one day draft can help you decide any better if your players that you wanted got snapped up in 4-5 consecutive picks.
Nach oben Nach unten
Fitzsy Stars

Fitzsy Stars

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty03.04.09 23:23

[quote="Jay1982"]
razor schrieb:

Sure you are able to do research, but no amounnt of prep for a one day draft can help you decide any better if your players that you wanted got snapped up in 4-5 consecutive picks.

Sorry to be contrary, Jay. But this is really an entirely different issue than what Ray and I have been talking about.

Speaking for Ray, I believe our issue is that there is far LESS known earlier in the draft (during a slow draft) than a one-day draft held in late September. It's fine if you prefer a slow draft, but any way you slice the pie, the earlier you make your picks the more time their is for something to happen that you don't know about.

In any case, as per my other thread on this issue, it will be impossible for us to do a slow draft starting any earlier than Septmeber 1st of this year anyway. Sorry guys, but that is just the facts. I will be travelling for much of the summer with my wife and I do not want a slow draft distracting me from this fun time together. I must sleep in the same bed as her. LOL. There will even be a few places where it will be impossible to participate -- one stretch in late July I will be out of email range for at least 15 days. And another stetch in mid August for another 10-12 days.

Bottom line: I'm willing to compromise on a slow draft starting in September if that is what everyone votes for. I am not willing to start any sooner. Greg and I discussed summer activity when we started his league, and although we both liked the idea of some dialogue and a bit of trade action during summer, I don't beleive either of us intended the re-drafting process to stretch over the entire summer months.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty05.04.09 14:00

I myself am with Matt in that I do not like the idea of a slow draft over the summer and would want it to happen in September. I for one would like to know what team players are playing for before I decide when I should draft them and the like. That also extends to my decision about my keeper players.

All that said though I am very much on board for a slow draft versus a one day draft. The season is due to open on Oct. 2nd and I think getting a ten round slow draft done should be no problem and it should allow for more flexibility then a one day draft.

Those are my thoughts anywhoo.
Nach oben Nach unten
Gesponserte Inhalte

BeitragThema: Re: draft next september   draft next september Empty

Nach oben Nach unten

draft next september
Seite 1 von 2Gehe zu Seite : 1, 2  Weiter