Würden Sie gerne auf diese Nachricht reagieren? Erstellen Sie einen Account in wenigen Klicks oder loggen Sie sich ein, um fortzufahren.

NUTBARS DU CANUCKS KEEPER LEAGUE FORUM

StartseiteNeueste BilderSuchenAnmeldenLogin

Trading Etiquette

Nach unten 
AutorNachricht
Gast

Trading Etiquette Empty
BeitragThema: Trading Etiquette   Trading Etiquette Empty24.09.08 3:34

I know a few of us here have engaged in fantasy trading before. However, through what I've seen in other leagues. I think there are some things some of the newer people should know about trade offers, and the mentality behind it.

A lot of times people might approach you with off the wall proposals with a bunch of potatoes for your gold bar. Now some people take this in a bad way. And tell the guy to bug off. Usually this happens because the orginal trade proposal guy is testing the waters out.

Its like if you walk into a used car lot and there isn't a price listed on the car window. You won't go "I'll give you ten thousand for this beauty." The used car salesman will jump all over it. He would have let it go for a thousand. Instead, you go around the lot, look at a car you don't really want, make your way over to the baby you really want. And then ask him about that car. He'll say, twenty five hundred. So now you know a good starting point, and saved you a fair bit amount of cash. From there you can start to deal and find a good halfway point.

But if you go and tell this guy that he's a fool, or that he shouldn't bother contacting you for trade offers in the future. You burn a bridge, and you create a hostile environment in the pool. We all want to be in this for the long haul, so there is no point in getting mean with each other. It will only deminish the bond that we are trying to create. Don't take an aweful trade proposal as an insult, counter his offer, with something that interests you.

In a league two years ago I had Ovy and Lidstrom on my team. This guy comes at me with a trade proposal:

My Ovy and Lidstrom for his Ron Hainsey, Todd Marchant, Mike Johnson, and Steve Reinprect. At first I was really upset. Who the hell does this guy take me for?! I countered with my Steve Sullivan and Rob Blake for Eric Staal and Sergei Gonchar. Not as bad as his offer, but still. A trade I wouldn't have done if I were him. He countered with my Ovechkin, Rob Blake, Lidstrom for his Eric Staal, Henrik Sedin, Brian McCabe. To make an already long story short. After a week of going back and forth. We struck a deal.
My Nick Lidstrom, and Mats Sundin for his Eric Staal, Brian McCabe and Saku Koivu.

This deal went on to win me the league championship, shortly after the trade Koivu took off on a point streak (as he usually does late season), and Staal put up monster numbers. I lost out on Nick Lidstrom for Brian McCabe. But I had to give to get. And thats the point of trading. No one here is a Mike Milbury. We all except a decent return for our assets.

So please, if someone makes you an off the wall trade (it might be me, I've already given one bonker trade Wink ) counter him with something that you are interested in. Or respectfully decline. No harm...no foul.

Enjoy the league guys. I know I will!
Nach oben Nach unten
Fitzsy Stars

Fitzsy Stars

Number of posts : 3613
Registration date : 21.08.08

Trading Etiquette Empty
BeitragThema: Re: Trading Etiquette   Trading Etiquette Empty24.09.08 3:47

Very well spoken, Jay. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in a non-confrontational and respectful manner.

We all come from different fantasy hockey cultures and have different ways of doing business, so there's bound to be situations where one GM's trading style doesn't match another GM's style. Especially when we're just getting to know one another.

I know this sounds trite, but we're all human beings, too. If an offer makes you so angry that you don't want to make a counter offer or even deal with a certain GM, then I agree with Jay: just respectfully decline. No harm done. And you don't risk burning a bridge that could later win you the hockey pool!

Cheers,
Matt
Nach oben Nach unten
http://www.summitstudios.biz
Gast

Trading Etiquette Empty
BeitragThema: Re: Trading Etiquette   Trading Etiquette Empty24.09.08 4:03

Thanks. I felt the need to write this because in one of my other pools. Two best friends won't talk to each other now because of Fantasy trading. Its stupid and childish, but if it could happen to two best friends, it can happen to any of us.
So I figured I'd post this here as a reminder to everyone, myself included (I have a hot head at times and I can always refer to this thread). I want this to be a real friendly place, and a thing that ruins a pool fast, is bad trades, or harsh words that stem from trades
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

Trading Etiquette Empty
BeitragThema: Re: Trading Etiquette   Trading Etiquette Empty24.09.08 8:16

I'll trade you your'e young strong back for my old sore back afro
Nach oben Nach unten
Gast

Trading Etiquette Empty
BeitragThema: Re: Trading Etiquette   Trading Etiquette Empty24.09.08 11:40

done
Nach oben Nach unten
Gesponserte Inhalte